Wednesday, May 27, 2015

#SummerList

The longer I go without blogging, the harder it is to start... :)

Summer is one of the best perks of being a teacher. I sleep in a bit, go for a walk, then tackle my to-do list at my own pace. I use the summer time to really think through activities I want to add to my curriculum, changes I want to make, books to read, etc. For accountability, I've decided to blog my list here rather than write it down in my handy, dandy, little notebook. :)



Books I plan to Read (or Re-Read):
I'm sure there are others, so I'll update this list as I read them :)


Things I want to explore
  • Better integration of the Chromebooks (1:1)
    • Exploring Google Forms for Quick Formative Assessment
    • Learn to use/integrate various online tools such as Plot.ly, Desmos, and StatKey in my classroom
    • Create some Kahoot games to use for review activities
    • Spend some time playing with Chrome apps that might be useful, such as a flashcard app, etc.
  • Work on more Free Response writing - this is a weakness due to my class sizes... grading 100+ of these is a killer!
    • Integrate whiteboarding activities
    • Use mistakes and error analysis
    • Expose students to the rubrics more

To be honest, I was pretty pleased with how things went in my classes this year, but I always have room for improvement. A lot of the things I've scribbled on my list are minor tweaks, but tweaks that I feel can make a huge impact in my classroom.

What's on your #SummerList?

4 comments:

Matt Townsley said...

I've read the Jackson and Brookhart books and learned from both of them. Good choices!

McCarley said...

So glad to hear from you! Thought you had stopped blogging.

druin said...

Thanks @McCarley... Life got a bit busy for me, but I'm back for now! :) Thanks for reading :)

Susan said...

I reread "never work harder than yur students every summer" since I got it and get better every year!

I teach (community) college statistcs for honors students (not usually STEM students).
I am drastically changing it this summer using 6 problems for PBL, OER (no paid textbook), StatCrunch (12 dollars for 6 months), and Specifications Grading (Linda Nilson).

Drastic change. I am really excited. They will only earn the grade if they demonstrate competency and they have retries to do that.

Now you've inspired me to only use Google docs and presentations and google forms for some formative assessment. Thanks!