Thursday, February 15, 2018

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Happy Valentine's Day!  I hope each of you had an amazing day filled with treats and lots of love.

This was probably my favorite Valentine's Day in years and it all comes back to mindset!

Back in January, I saw a link on Facebook to this picture / blog post / pin:
14 Fun Ideas for Valentine's Day with Kids | Healthy Ideas for Kids 
Source:  Pinterest

The idea was that each day, starting on February 1, you should put a heart on your child's door with a reason why you love them.  I loved this idea, but I don't have children of my own.

But I do have 130 students every day that walk through my doors and every one of them is a blessing to me.  So I decided to do this with my students instead!  I shared the idea on Facebook and several other #MTBoS friends joined in.... so much fun!! :)

Here's the completed board (and shout-out to hubby for the header!):




Here are the reasons I put up each day:

  1.  I love that you aren't afraid to try new things
  2.  I love our High Five Fridays!
  3.  I love how talented you are! (Music, Art, Drama, Academics, Attitude, and so much more)
  4.  I love that you help each other!
  5.  I love that you don't give up, even when things are challenging.
  6.  I love that you are willing to make mistakes and "be wrong" because that's when learning happens!
  7. I love that you are willing to take risks!
  8. I love that you are kind-hearted toward your classmates!
  9. I love to watch you grow and learn over the year, both in math and in confidence
  10. I love that you show respect for yourselves and each other!
  11. I love that you are comfortable enough to tell me when you aren't sure about math.
  12. I love that you can make me smile / laugh everyday!
  13. I love that you have a positive attitude, even when I ask you to step out of your comfort zone!
  14. I love that I get a chance to play a small role in your lives.
This was one of the best things I've ever done in my classroom because it really made me focus on the positive qualities and  remembering my why.  Mindset matters!  When you focus on the positives, when you remember to find the joy in what you do each day, the rest of the junk just kind of fades away.


I had so much fun doing this in my classroom that I ended up doing this for my husband as well!  Each day I snuck around the house to put a heart-shaped post-it note on his computer monitor with a reason why I loved him.

I'd definitely recommend trying this next year, or if you don't want to wait, then do it for March and Saint Patrick's Day.... "Why I'm LUCKY to be your teacher!" :)

No comments: