Friday, February 2, 2018

#MyFavFriday - Hello February!

It's Friday - again!!

This week went SO fast for me, which is awesome because last week was definitely the opposite.  I didn't even blog last week because it took all of my energy just to make it through the week!

We also had to say good-bye to January and hello to February this week.  This was a change that I am a-ok with!  February is a crazy fast month, not only due to the reduced number of days, but we are gearing up for enrollment, professional development, and full-steam ahead to Spring Break! :)

So here's a look back at my favorites from this week!


My Favorite Lab:
In Forensic Science, we are deep into our blood spatter unit.  We have explored blood typing, dropping blood from various heights, and the mathematical relationship between the height and the diameter of the blood drops.

So this week, we tried something new - how does the blood spatter change based on the surface?  Each lab group had 11 surfaces, from carpet to wood to tile to various fabrics and were given a specific height to drop from.  I was so surprised at the output!  I can't wait to do this again next year and explore even more surfaces!


My Favorite Eavesdropping Moment:
We started a new unit in Geometry on Right Triangles.  Of course, I turned to the MTBoS Search Engine to help me out, which lead me to blog posts by @lisabej_manitou and @KLBoles based on an activity that was originally posted by Dan Meyer back when he taught Geometry.  The idea was to use squares to explore the Pythagorean Theorem and Pythagorean Inequalities.  This was truly one of the best hands-on learning activities I've done all year!

Sometimes, I happen to walk by at just the right time to hear a great conversation formed... The group shown at the left had just put together the 3, 4, 5 triangle and were in a discussion about what type of triangle was formed.  Two of the students immediately said, "I think it's acute!".  The third student quietly spoke up and said, "Are you sure it's not right?  I think it's a right triangle."  I don't always get a chance to hear such great discussion, where students are truly listening to each other and re-evaluating their own thoughts.  Students that often struggle with engagement were fully engaged and after forming their triangles, the patterns of =, <, and > quickly emerged.  Teacher Win!


My Favorite Student Request:
On block day this week, my Geometry class took a quiz over similarity during the first half of the hour.  One of my students came to me before class started with an unusual request - he wanted to use a whiteboard while working on his quiz.  Over the past few weeks, with the whiteboards always available on each table, I had noticed this young man reach for a whiteboard almost daily to do his work, so I was happy to grant his request and even happier to see him working along successfully on his assessment!  It's been fascinating to watch the transformation in my classes with access to the individual whiteboards every day!


My Favorite Exit Ticket Question of the Week:
I know I've blogged or tweeted about this one before, but today's reflection question was "I wish my teacher knew...."  I love, love, love this question!  I get a variety of responses, including some really serious ones that truly give me insight into what is going on in a student's life.  Here are some of today's favorite responses:
I wish my teacher knew...
- this is the first math class in years that I haven't dreaded going to. :)
- that I really appreciate how hard she works to make sure we understand.  Thank you!!
- how to take a day to not to do math and watch a movie or something.
- that I know the answer sometimes but it's so quiet in the room I don't like to speak.
- that I really like math even though I suck at it.
- that I have never liked math until this year.  You have made it fun!


My Favorite New Classroom Display:
Back in January, I saw a post on Facebook that was aimed at parents, with the idea to put a heart on your child's door each day of February with a reason why you loved them.  Since I'm not a parent, I decided to modify this to reasons why I love being your teacher! :)

I cut out hearts from construction paper, then wrote notes like:
- I love how you help each other.
- I love your positive attitude even when I ask you to step out of your comfort zone.
- I love how willing you are to try new things.
- I love that you are respectful to yourself and others.


January was a rough month, but February is off to a wonderful start!  What were your favorite things from this week?

Happy Friday, y'all! :)


No comments: