Sunday, July 21, 2019

Making Progress

At church this morning, my pastor was preaching about the "Dark Spots" that we all have.  You know, those spots that are easy to identify in other people, but harder to admit in our own lives.  He went on to say that if we wait for the perfect time to serve the Lord or do whatever the task is, we will probably never get to that time.

During this part of the service, I was reminded of a quote that we referenced a lot in my first AVID class and its application to my life currently:


I am about to start my 23rd year in the classroom and to be honest, I thought I would have it down by now.  In fact, hubby and I had this discussion a few days ago about imposter syndrome and how much we didn't know at the start of our careers.  I look back on my early years and remember feeling more "with it" than I do now.  I thought I was progressive, a go-getter, when really, I just didn't know what I didn't know. :)  Then I found blogs and Twitter and all things MTBoS and now I know what I don't know and it sometimes leaves me feeling inadequate.  But when those feelings come, I try to remember the quote above because I'll never "be there" but I'm definitely closer than I was 23 years ago or even 23 hours ago and that progress toward the goal is the important thing.

As my pastor said this morning, we can't focus on the dark spots only and ignore the good, instead we have to focus on the good and work on improving the dark spots.  

Thanks to each one of you that help me daily to improve and to be closer than I was yesterday.

No comments: