Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Back to School Parent Contact - #MTBoSBlaugust Day 10

 


Last night was Back to School night and I have to admit, I love the energy that students and their families bring to the building.  I've been in my classroom off and on for the past few weeks, but in the summer, the building just seems kind of sad.  The floors are newly waxed, the carpets have been cleaned, but the energy is lacking.  I should also note that I am flat-out exhausted after last night because it was VERY people-y and that's tough for an introvert like me! 

But one of my FAVORITE parts of Back to School is sending out an email and short questionnaire to the parent / guardian.  This is two-fold - to establish that first contact, sharing my email and my excitement for the new year, and to ask the parents to introduce me to their student in an effort to get to know them better.

Attached to the email is a very short Google Form with just a few questions:

- What is your name?

- What is your Student's name?

- If I need to get in touch with you, what is the best way to contact you?  If phone, what time of day works best?

- Your student is an amazing person and I would love your help in getting to know them better.  You know your student best, so please tell me about your student as a person.  I would love to hear about hopes and dreams, goals for this year and for the future, challenges and successes, activities and interests, and anything else that you would like to share about your student.  Please feel free to write as much (or as little) as you would like!

- I would also love to know more about your student on an academic level. Please tell me anything you know about how your student learns best and the classroom environment that would best encourage and develop your student as a mathematician.  If you have any suggestions about how I can be a better teacher for your student, please let me know that as well.  Again, please feel free to write as much (or as little) as you would like!

- Do you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns?

I really love reading the responses as they trickle in!




If you are interested in joining in the #MTBoSBlaugust fun, here's a post with some prompts to help you out!  The idea is just to blog / micro-blog during August to help us focus and reflect on the year ahead.  Please tag your post on Social Media with the hashtag #MTBoSBlaugust so we can support you in your blogging journey!



No comments: