#5Things for the TMC Newbie
- Dress is casual and comfortable - Remember this is a "for teachers, by teachers" workshop and we know that you are on summer break! I'll be in shorts/capris, t-shirts, and flip flops the entire time. If you get chilly easily, you might want a cardigan/jacket, but if you forget one, no biggie.. there's a Kohl's across from the hotel! :)
- Worried about transportation? Don't be! Once we get you from the airport to the hotel, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. The high school is about 1/2 mile from the main hotel and if you are in the overflow hotel, they will be providing shuttles to the high school.
- But you guys all know each other! Yeah, some of us do. I mean @approx_normal and I have been friends for years. Other people, I had never met in person until TMC12 and there's a huge number of you that I've never met at all! If I can fit in, then anyone can! I'm extremely introverted and hate to be in new situations, but seriously, it's okay. And if you're still worried.. come find me! I promise to be friendly :)
- Oklahoma summers - A typical Oklahoma summer is hot and humid, but this July so far hasn't been typical! Yesterday, it was 65 degrees, today it was 78. However, summer is supposed to return for next week, so expect daytime highs in the mid 90s and morning lows in the mid 70s. I know a lot of people check their phones for the weather, but here's one of the local news stations (and my personal favorite for weather): NewsOn6
- What should I bring? The normal stuff that you would bring a conference! Feel free to bring a laptop, you will have wifi access at the school and at the hotel. Some people may also want a calculator. I have a few extras in my classroom if you forgot it. We have PLENTY of plug-ins in the classrooms.. literally, there are 8 sets in the floor and about 10 in the walls of each classroom! If you forgot something, please let me know.. chances are that I have an extra that I can lend you! (Or worse case scenario, I can send hubby to the store for you!)
The other thing that I want to make sure to share is to not be afraid to socialize! I am extremely introverted, so I understand how social situations can be anxiety-producing. When I first went to TMC12, there was an element of feeling star-struck by all of the people that I had admired from afar via their blogs. However, when I sat down to talk to them, they were just normal, everyday people like me! Just like me, they tried their best every day to reach kids.. just like me, sometimes they succeeded, sometimes they failed... and just like me, their goal was to be a little bit better every day.
I'm so excited to meet all of you! Safe travels and please let me know how I can help!
Do you have other questions or concerns? Leave me a comment and I'll answer them! :)
I am on a personal challenge to blog every day in July, just to see if I can do it. I would love to have you join me! If you are worried that you've missed a few days, please don't stress.. just jump on in! Maybe a month is too much, that's okay, try it for a week, or every other day, or once a week.. whatever works for you!
Don't forget to visit the other July bloggers and show them some love!
The bloggers (so far)
Robin at Flip! Learn! Share
Bridget at Reflections in the Plane
Teresa at GeometryWiz
Sherrie at Middle School Math Rules!
Brooke at Sined, Sealed, Calculated
John at Functions are Fun
Jedidiah at Math Butler
Pam at the radical rational
Roxy at Rockstar Math Teacher
Paul at TeacherPaulP
Tina at Palmer's Ponderings
Cindy at School Stuff
Robyn at Making Math Visible
Shelley at Making Math Visual
Add your blog in the comments if you would like to join in! :)