Thursday, August 1, 2019

#MTBoSBlaugust - Making New Friends


As a kid, one of the songs I remember singing in music class was... "Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver, and the other gold."

And I have to tell you that today, I feel so rich, so blessed, so downright amazed at the friendships and connections that have been forged recently.

Yesterday, my school had the pleasure of hosting over 100 math teachers from 5 different states (that I know of) at the Northeast Oklahoma Math Teachers Gathering.

I had the opportunity to meet and work with teachers from PK-12 and my life is richly blessed because of it.

I heard conversations going on about playing with math, about classroom management, about technology, about hands-on learning.  I visited with people from my district, from people in my metro area, from people that teach in the rural area I grew up, from people that drove several hours to get here, from people that I previously only knew via social media.  I learned new strategies that I can immediate implement - from formative assessment to lesson plans to student documentation and more.

The energy throughout the day was just so positive and uplifting that it really helped me get into the school mindset.  I hope to keep that energy flowing throughout the year by continuing the conversations that were started.

Huge shout-out to my principal for agreeing to this crazy idea of hosting, to the amazing team that helped me organize it, to the presenters and participants for actually making this happen.  You all rock!!

No comments: