I really don't know what to blog about today, so I'm going to ramble a bit about how it's going this year :)
Things I'm liking so far this year:
- I have the best collaborators! The teacher that has taught across the hall from me the past few years is now teaching calculus, so we again have a new teacher teaching Stat. However, it's a good thing because she's an experienced teacher that I've known for years! She and I met many many years ago at an APSI and I was so excited when she joined our staff last year. Now she's teaching Stat again and it's been so fun to collaborate with her and the other stat teacher.
- I've really enjoyed my lessons so far! I am still waiting on the year where I get to re-use the previous year's lessons! :) Seriously though, I have a tendency to try to improve on everything every year and this year is no exception. For many years, I've believed in active learning, but this year it seems like I've done that more than previous years. The kiddos took a quiz today, so I'm hoping that their level of enjoyment comes through in the quiz scores.
- Make It Stick! This book has potential to be a huge game-changer in my classroom! I'm using a lot more forced recall, frequent quizzing, reflection opportunities, and mini-quiz exit tickets than I've ever used. I'm exhausted, but it definitely is worth it!
- High Five Friday! I am just not a daily person, but I've be doing a High Five Friday and my kids are responding so well! I'm hoping this really builds a sense of community and caring in my classroom.
Things I need to improve:
- I am horrible at learning names. This seems to be harder and harder for me every year and I really don't know what else to do to force my brain to remember the names.
- Balance! This is a yearly goal... lol! I am always thinking about school, so this is a never-ending challenge and goal :)
- Tackling my to-do list! I have to figure out a way to get more things marked off my to-do list... ugh! :)
Alrighty... The last post of the month is over!! :) Happy Blaugust! :)