Thursday, December 21, 2017

Reflecting on Fall 2017 #MTBoS12Days

Wow!  I can't believe the Fall Semester has come and gone.  This is my 20th year of teaching and I swear that every year goes by just a little bit faster.

Over this Winter Break, I am participating in the Yule Blog #MTBoS12Days Challenge.  You can find the prompts here.

What worked (and what didn't) in 2017

What Worked....

  • Instagram for #teach180 - For several years, I've tried to keep up with a 180 blog or twitter post.  For several years, I've failed.  Until this year!  I decided last summer to try using Instagram for my 180 posts and while I've definitely forgotten to take a photo every single day, I've managed to post several times a week.  The IG platform allows me more of a photo diary with minimal text, which is ideal for my visual nature.
  • General classroom organization - I still use the table folders and table buckets and those have continued to work really well.  
  • Whiteboarding / VNPS - I haven't used this strategy as much as I had hoped, but I have used it more than in the past.  My kids, especially geometry, love to use the whiteboards and often will ask to go get one for their table even on a non-whiteboarding day.  
  • Keeping a better balance - For the first time in my teaching career, I have done a pretty decent job of creating a balance in my professional vs personal life.  Our school start time changed from 7:50 to 9:15, so I am still getting up and arriving at 7 am.  This allows me to get a ton of stuff done before kids arrive and while I'm fresh.  Unless I have a meeting, I try to leave by 4:15 so I can get home and go for a walk before sundown.  Because I do have a new prep (Geometry), I am still spending evenings working on the next day's lesson plans, but in general, I've done a pretty good job with keeping up with grading / planning, and even finding time each evening to read for fun! :)


What Didn't... (Or Still in Progress)

  • Co-teaching Adjustments - This past summer, my former forensics co-teacher decided to pursue other opportunities.  She and I taught together for several years, so it is taking time to figure out how to adjust the class and curriculum with a new co-teacher.  This is a "still in progress" item as the new co-teacher came in 2 days before kids arrived and hit the ground running.  As the experienced one, I took the lead and I'm still trying to figure out that role and how to better organize the class.  I'm not extremely happy with some of the decisions I made this past semester, so part of my Winter Break plans is to really spend some time reflecting on this class and changes to make for the Spring.
  • Using #MyFavFriday - Back in August, I posted that I wanted to use #MyFavFriday for Accountability.  Ummm, yeah, that didn't happen.  It was a great thought and I do love the idea, but so far, it's not been a priority.  I have blogged more this semester than I have in years past, so that's a win, right?  Fridays are hard for me - I come home pretty darn tired from the week and it's all I can do to stay awake past 6pm!  Maybe the Spring semester will be better for that... :)

Overall:
There were a lot more positives in my life this semester than negatives and for that I am eternally grateful.  Even the negatives weren't really bad, just different.  I am extremely happy to be back teaching Geometry and I've really had a blast with those kiddos.  :)  I know I have things to work on, specifically richer tasks and better questions, but I'm getting there!  I already have items on my summer to-do list and have already asked my principal to keep me in Geometry next year as well, so I can really build on what I've done this year.  

What worked for you this year?


No comments: