Thursday, December 30, 2021

#MTBoSYuleBlog - Start... Stop... Continue... in 2022

 


Start... Stop... Continue... in 2022

This prompt has been one of my favorites for years.  What are 3 things you want to start doing, stop doing, and continue doing in the new year?

In 2022, I want to START:
  • Building a Love for Mathematics - As you've seen in the previous posts, I really want to start thinking about those weird and wacky math things that made me enjoy math beyond the "must-teach standards" and dry procedures.  
  • Getting out into the community -  As an introvert, this one is going to be REALLY difficult for me, but now that I live a short distance from my school, I want to do more to be involved in evening activities.
  • Focusing on healthy habits -  I got into some bad habits with my eating and exercising during the pandemic and that needs to change.  I know what to do, but stress and other issues kept me from caring enough to do it.  Now that I'm mentally and emotionally in a better place, it's time for me to focus more on my physical health.  

In 2022, I want to STOP:
  • The Teaching Rut -  I'll be the first to admit that my classroom has reverted back to the "sit and take notes" classroom of my earlier years.  There's a variety of reasons for this, but I need a shot in the arm to get out of the habit.  I've signed up for some PD in January that will hopefully help, plus much of my reading this break has been with this eye toward breaking out of my rut.
  • Focusing on what I cannot change -  This one will be tough for me, but sometimes I need to learn to redirect my focus to the 99 things that are going well and stop stressing about the 1 thing that isn't.  In the classroom, it's really hard to accept that I can't reach every student.  That won't stop me from trying, but I need to learn that it's not all on me either.

In 2022, I want to CONTINUE:
  • Celebrating Birthdays -  This has been one of those small pleasures this year that both the kids and I look forward to!  It's a little thing, but it helps show that I care about them as a person.
  • #EduRead -   This year, I've spent a LOT of time with my Kindle, but in the New Year, I want to get back to reading some professional books on how to better reach my students.  Feel free to share any recommendation!  (Same with podcasts)
  • Connecting with others -  From our monthly #MathTeachCollab meet-ups to a mini-vacay with friends, one thing we've learned in the pandemic is about how important those connections are.  It helps to know you aren't alone and there are others that can provide some great advice and a sympathetic ear.

What do you want to Start / Stop / Continue in 2022?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I apologize if you mentioned it in an earlier blog but what have you done to celebrate birthdays this year?