Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Making Thinking Visible - Chapter 5B

This August, I'm participating in a monthly blog challenge called Blaugust. To see the list of participating blogs, click on the logo below. Please cheer on our participants with either a tweet or a comment on their blog. It can be hard to blog on a daily (or even regular) schedule! :)


If you want to join in the blogging fun, it's not too late!  Go HERE to sign up! :)

Making Thinking Visible - Chapter 5B

As with previous chapters, the title of each routine links to more information and my notes and comments follow each title.

Connect Extend Challenge

  • Powerful comment from the author:  "... [S]tudents are often given information but are never asked to do anything mentally with it.  Listening, in and of itself, doesn't lead to learning."  Wow!  That stepped on my toes.  Are we asking students to be passive or active learners?  
  • Authors suggest using this to help students process information after info-rich sessions.  It could also be used after professional learning opportunities.
  • I don't really see a lot of application in math, but I like this idea in general.  Need to do more research regarding use in math.
  • Sentence starters that I really liked: 
    • Connect:  "This quote (passage, text, concept) reminds me of...
    • Extend:  "This quote is adding to my thinking because..."
    • Challenge:  "This quote makes me wonder...
  • Powerful quote (actually a paraphrase) that made me pause... It's not that students always want to take the easy way out or give shallow thoughts, they may just not know how to articulate deeper thoughts.  Modeling is key!


The 4Cs

  • Again, this routine didn't really appeal to me.  According to the author, this routine is best with non-fiction text, but probably not textbooks - maybe newspaper articles would work for stat?
  • The 4Cs stand for Connections, Challenge, Concepts, Changes
  • I wonder about using this routine with PD articles or with #EduRead?
  • Could maybe use each C as a standalone?  Would it work better with a textbook if used that way?


MicroLab

  • Note:  link above has a middle school math example video
  • This routine was designed to ensure equal participation during classroom discussions
  • Each round is timed and groups of 3 are optimal.  
  • In the examples, there was an illustration of using this routine to process an investigative task and problem solving.  In general, the examples made me think a lot about the AVID tutorial process
  • Some tips from the authors:  Give students time to write and think before starting the routine.  Also, when first introducing this routine, feel free to start with shorter times.  Finally, don't be afraid of the silence, as that is the time students are really to be processing what they just heard.


I used to think... Now I think...

  • This would be a great reflection prompt at the end of a lesson or unit - maybe make this into an exit ticket paper (1/4 sheet) and ask students to respond anonymously?  Could then take up and redistribute (or snowball!) to have people share out the comments.
  • This routine would be very flexible and easy to implement.  It also promotes a growth mindset.
  • Tip from the author:  The teacher needs to be genuinely curious about how student thinking has grown or changed.  This is not meant to be a "gotcha" or a "I was wrong before, but now I'm right"  This is about student reflection, not teacher-pleasing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for so many great suggestions. I hope to use some of these ideas.