Sunday, December 27, 2015

#MTBoS12Days - Start... Stop... Continue

I have already failed the Yule Blog challenge, which given my posting record, should come as no surprise! :)  We've had a busy busy week filled with deep cleaning the house, hosting my in-laws, and two days of Star Wars movie marathons.  This year, my Christmas gift to hubby was to marathon episodes 4, 5, and 6, then an evening show of episode 7.  A good friend of mine also came over to join us and it was an enjoyable and low-key day of pj's, chocolate, and movies.  I hadn't seen the original trilogy since they were re-released in the late 90s and had never seen the prequels, so the next day we watched episodes 1, 2, and 3.  As a result of all this, I haven't even been at my computer for several days, so I'm a bit behind in posting!

Start... Stop... Continue... is one of my favorite blogging prompts, so I'm so glad that it made it onto the #MTBoS12days list!  It's such a good way to reflect on the previous semester!

What will I START doing in the new semester:
Honestly, this is more of what will I "re-start" list... :)
  • Eating better and back to exercising!  This fall has been rough for me personally and I've fallen off the exercise/food wagon.  I need to get back to taking care of myself.
  • Reaching out to my MTBoS PLN!  The #EduRead crowd and others push me to be a better, more creative teacher.  I've not been good this year about chatting, blogging, and reading professional literature... I need to change that!
  • Making Thinking Visible!  This is something that I haven't done as much this year and I miss having things around my room showing student thinking.  I need to get back to it.

What will I STOP doing in the new semester:
 This is the hardest one for me... there are so many bad habits I need to stop!
  • Stop taking things personally!  This is true in both my personal and professional life.  I need to focus on the things that are really important.
  • Stop saying "Yes!"  I am working on finding better balance in my life... setting priorities where they should be.  I take things on that I shouldn't... I need to let go and let others step up to the plate.

What will I CONTINUE doing in the new semester:
This is the easiest one for me... this semester was pretty good!
  • Continue utilizing the "Make It Stick" strategies!  I had good success with MC Mondays, Flashback Fridays, FRAPPYs, and "Brain Dumps" and I want to expand on that this semester.
  • Drinking water!  I've tried to really up my water intake and while I can't say that I'm always successful, I do drink way more water than I used to.
  • High Five Fridays!  If you've read any of the TMC15 blog posts, you've probably heard about Glenn's High Fives and how they helped build rapport with his students.  I knew it would be tough to do this daily, so I modified it to High Five Fridays and it worked really well!  Thanks Glenn!

No comments: