Wednesday, December 21, 2022

#Read3 (or 6!)

 


Several years ago, there was a hashtag floating around called #Read3, where you would share 3 blog posts, tweets, etc that impacted you.  Today, I'm sharing more than 3, but I couldn't narrow it down!  So here are some of the things I've read in 2022 that I want to remember....

Book - Teaching Math with Examples by Michael Pershan:

I read this book twice over the summer (and honestly need to read it again).  I've known Michael for many years and met him at TMC14 but this was the most informative book with regard to his teaching methods.  Teaching Math with Examples is also a pretty short book and a quick read, but filled with practical tips and hints on effective math teaching and learning.

While I have yet to implement these strategies, they are still on my to-do list for 2023!  When we return from Winter Break, we will be tackling triangle congruence proofs, so I need to re-read the chapter on how Michael introduces proofs to his students.  


Hashtag - #MathsTLP

A few weeks ago, I just happened to be scrolling on Twitter when the #MathsTLP thread started.  This is a UK based Sunday Twitter Chat where teachers post what they are teaching that week and others share resources and links to help them out!  It's collaborative Lesson Planning at its best!

After the Twitter chat, one of the hosts curates the links and shares them in a blog post (archive here:  https://norledgemaths.co.uk/tag/mathstlp/).  I loved this idea so much I started posting a similar idea each Sunday on my state NCTM affiliate FB page.  


Blog Post - Number Talks

First off, can I just say how much I adore Beth (@algebrasfriend)?  I've had the pleasure of knowing her for many years and have shared a few meals with her and her husband.  Beth is a retired teacher and principal, but still actively supports math education by curating links and resources to help others out.

I had been thinking about bringing back Number Talks to my classes this semester when I ran across Beth's most perfect post on Number Sense in the Secondary Classroom.  I'm really excited about starting Number Talks back up in January and I super appreciate Beth taking the time to gather those resources and share them!


Tweet - Potty Puzzlers

Jessica (@MsJBogie) is another dear friend and last year she became an Instructional Coach in her district after teaching middle school for many years.  As part of her new role, Jessica really wanted to build an awareness of math and started curating and printing monthly Potty Puzzlers to post in the bathrooms around the district.  She often shares these on her Twitter feed for others to use as well.  Every month that I see these, I think about printing it and posting it in our faculty restrooms, but I haven't done it yet.  Maybe in 2023.... :)


Podcast - Sermon Series on Anxiety

This past summer, a dear friend and former administrator shared a snippet of a sermon series on Anxiety.  The pastor was a great speaker and the series really spoke to my heart as the anxiety of a new year was approaching.  


Instagram Feed - Teachers of Oklahoma

Teachers of Oklahoma is the passion project of the 2022 Oklahoma Teacher of the Year, Rebecka Peterson.  If you don't follow Rebecka, you should!  Rebecka is one of the most positive and inspiring people I know and is totally my teacher crush!  Several years ago, Rebecka started posting daily on the One Good Thing blog, inviting each of us into her classroom and now she is travelling the state inviting us into the classrooms of teachers around Oklahoma in order to highlight the good that happens every day.  This profession can be frustrating and lonely, but this is just a reminder that you aren't alone and to "be the change"



What are some of the things you've read or listened to in 2022 that impacted you?




No comments: