Saturday, November 8, 2014

NaBloPoMo - Day 8 - How to get them moving?





Today was a lazy day at home, catching up on TV shows and generally being a total couch potato. :)  Finally, around 3pm, I did go shower and head to Wal-Mart just to get out of the house for a bit.  I was so glad I did because I ended up buying several necklaces that were on clearance for $3! :)  Yay!


When I got back home, I decided to finish my chapter for #EduRead (The Highly Engaged Classroom by Marzano) in preparation for Wednesday night's chat.  The chapter was good, but I still feel myself drawn to the section about physical movement.


From the book:
"Oxygen is essential for brain function, and enhanced blood flow increases the amount of oxygen transported to the brain.  Physical activity is a reliable way to increase blood flow, and hence oxygen, to the brain" (Jenson 2005 pg 62)
My district already uses some of this research to support a program where some of our struggling students are enrolled in an physical education type program directly before their most challenging subject, typically English or Math.  However, I'm more personally invested in my own classroom... how can I use this research to help my students?


My main question for myself is how can I use physical movement within my classroom to increase student engagement and therefore achievement?  Some of the strategies I've used:
  • Inside-Outside Circle
  • Whip Around
  • Jigsaw
  • Around the World reviews
  • Gallery Walk
I'm running out of ideas to use these strategies in new ways and about new strategies to use.  :(


What are your favorite activities to get your kids out of their seats and moving around?


Today I'm Thankful For:
Friendships of a Lifetime!  I'm so blessed to have some really good friends that have stood the test of time.  Tonight I was reminded of that yet again, as I visited with one of my dearest friends.  I love those friendships where you can be apart for awhile, but when you are together, it's like no time has passed at all.  :)

No comments: