Saturday, August 6, 2022

Email Templates - #MTBoSBlaugust Day 6

 


Do you ever have one of those moments where you wake up in the middle of the night with an idea that you think is brilliant?  Sometimes the ideas really are... sometimes not... and sometimes you can't even remember them in the morning!

Today's idea came to me this morning as I was laying in bed reading and I truly had one of those "why have I never thought of this before?!?!" moments! 

Okay - so here's my idea... Email Templates!

I like to communicate with my students and their parents on a regular basis, so I utilize our gradebook Mass Email option a lot.  But until this morning, I had never thought of capturing those emails as templates to use over and over again instead of reinventing the wheel each time!

So once I sat down at my computer this morning, I went to Google Drive and started a new folder called Email Templates.  Then I made Google Docs for each of the emails that I would send throughout the year.  Finally, I went through last year's Sent Email box and copied the emails to paste into the G-Doc.  Thankfully this didn't take forever because I've only been at my school for one year! :)

As I use each one of these emails, I can edit in Google Docs, then copy/paste into our Gradebook Mass Email system!  

Hopefully this will save me some time this year.  One of the comments that I received multiple times in May from parents was how much they really appreciated the constant communication as teenagers are not always the best at telling their parents about upcoming events!  I'm sure there are others who were annoyed by my emails, but if it helps just one student, then it's worth it!



If you are interested in joining in the #MTBoSBlaugust fun, here's a post with some prompts to help you out!  The idea is just to blog / micro-blog during August to help us focus and reflect on the year ahead.  Please tag your post on Social Media with the hashtag #MTBoSBlaugust so we can support you in your blogging journey!